13 December 2016

Annie Sloan Christmas Shelfie: Boho Painted Candlesticks

Yesterday I introduced my Christmas Shelfie and the first painted piece to join my festive fireplace mantelpiece. Today I'm sharing project number two, my painted candlestick holders. 

I found these candlestick holders in a second-hand shop for under £2 and was drawn to their shape, although I wasn't overly keen on the shiny, metallic finish. So, inspired by the gorgeous hand painted designs I had seen in one of my favourite places, Charleston House in East Sussex, I painted a loose bohemian design on them. 


You will need: 


As I wanted a real bohemian, 'arty' feel I drew inspiration from the painted fireplace at Charleston House, with its decorative circles and lines painted by Vanessa Bell in the 1920s. I started by painting the candlesticks with a base colour of Scandinavian Pink – a colour very similar to the dusky pink used everywhere in Charleston! 

Once the base colour is completely dry you can add your designs.  I had planned a little bit of my design beforehand but mostly just freehanded as I went along, adding a little Antoinette circle here or Giverny dots there. I chose a gorgeous earthy, yet interesting colour palette of: Giverny, Old White, Honfleur, Antoinette and Château Grey.

When you are happy with your design, apply Chalk Paint® Wax to seal your work. 


And here they are! I absolutely love the way they have turned out, to see them standing proudly on my Christmas Shelf make sure you head over to my Facebook page later tonight! 

Tune back in tomorrow for another creative and quick project from my Christmas Shelfie!

Yours, 

Annie

1 comment:

  1. Hey Annie, these candle stands look nice. You have used eye catching colors. In my opinion if you draw the pattern or design with pencil beforehand, the lines and pattern would look more steady.

    ReplyDelete